Thursday, March 5, 2015

Jon, you'll never have to say you're sorry ever again...

It seems as though I've tried to write about the word, "eventually" for several months now...I've given my word to try and help my readers navigate our "new" economy; however, each week, something seems to get in the way. Some of it is self inflicted (my vacation in Mexico), others because of my variety of interests (I just can't write about what bores me), and still other times it's because something happens in the news which I simply can't ignore...this week, that's certainly the case...


Today, I want to give highly regarded kudos to the abrupt retirement of the Daily Show's Jon Stewart. He will be missed and, even though his comedy was very politically partisan, he was usually able to keep comedy ahead of politics. As you know, Stewart is stepping down after 16 years at the helm of the four-times-a-week, half hour comedy (fake news) show on Comedy Central cable/satellite television network.


Many have said I'm envious of Stewart (and to a lesser extent Stephen Colbert, the former Comedy Central host soon to take over the Letterman gig), because people care what they think. No, that's not why...yes, I am envious...you bet... they get to do what I and almost every blogger would love to be able to do...give your opinion and, if everyone agrees, it's all good. If they don't, just give a quick wink and a nod and say, "hey, I'm just a comedian." But, even though it would be nice; that is, to get away with what they do, well, it's just too easy...and I get bored easily...


Could I do what Stewart does? Probably not...number one, I don't have that elitist mind set...and...I don't attempt to sway any person or group to my way of thinking...or to join my elite group. Many would say it's unfair to categorize Stewart as intentionally setting out to convert others, however I never claimed it was intentional. On the contrary, when Stewart took over the Daily Show , I'm sure he had no idea the show would become such a Cult of Personality.


Stewart is no Jim Jones...although quite frankly, a huge part of his audience DOES drink the Kool-Aid...and while Stewart is funny and thought provoking, he all too often goes for the easy laugh... I always imagined being a writer on the show must be, well, a lot of fun for sure, but also one of the easiest gigs imaginable. I'm sure the formula goes something like this...#1a, go for the "wink and a nod," for anything liberal and; #1b, go for the jugular if it pertains to conservatism...if the requisite laughter is not elicited, then #2a, re-emphasize your faux-outrage (and disappointment) or; #2b, blame the Republican Party...then if the response is still not up to standards; #3a, blame Fox News and; 3b, blame Fox News...


On more than a few occasions, Stewart has had to apologize for allowing his ideology to overtake his comedic purpose. He has even appeared on Fox News, and insisted "it's just a little comedy show," all the while ignoring that Fox News is just cable news and nothing compared to the major networks. Most of all though, if Stewart's show is just a little cable comedy gig...and his purpose IS only comedy, why would he have to apologize? After all, the magic of liberalism IS never having to say you're sorry...




Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]