Saturday, June 19, 2010

Colorado bound...

This time next week, I'll be in Denver, Colorado...actually, Aurora, Colorado, to be more specific. My daughter's softball team will be participating in the Colorado Sparkler, a ten-day softball extravaganza, including tournaments, showcases, clinics, camps, even all-star games. What for? Well, for the "opportunity" to compete with thousands of other teenage girls for potential spots on college softball teams...and with that, perhaps financial assistance to go along with it.

"Hey, if you've got money for competitive softball (and all it entails), including traveling ALL the way to Colorado...geez, you must be rich." Wait a minute, is that you, Jack? Oh, it's Barack, well, I guess YOU might say I'm rich...but no, I'm not "rich." Simply because I choose to help keep my daughter motivated in her formative years, by way of supporting her in "her" choice of sport, activity, etc., doesn't mean it's all about the dollar bill...but again, I digress...

Speaking of sports, the Sacramento Kings NBA basketball team completed another blockbuster trade. Apparently, the Kings just moved a couple of lightweights, specifically 22-year old Spencer Hawes, a 7-1 center averaging 10 points, 6 rebounds and a little over a block a game and Andres Nocioni, a 30 year old 6-7 forward averaging less. In exchange, the Kings take on Philadelphia 76er problem child Samuel Dalembert, a 29 year old 6-11 center whose most redeeming quality appears to be that he wanted out of Philadelphia. Well, if trades from the recent past are any indication, this might work out well...for Hawes.

Speaking of Kings, former inmate, er, I mean, forward Ron Artest finally got his World Championship ring with the Los Angeles Lakers. Naturally, he thanked those responsible for his success, including (can you believe it?) his psychiatrist. Actually, considering his mental illness, that was probably a good call. But I sort of wish he would have thanked me...since word is that upon leaving the Sacramento area, he stuck area taxpayers with a short sale bill of over three quarter of a million dollars...yeah, I know, it's not personal...but I'm still "stuck" with MY house...

Yes, the Lakers won again...Kobe (and Tiger too) made deals with the devil, for sure...and NO, I'm not a Kings fan, per se...why is it that Lakers' fans automatically assume we must be Kings' fans. Why can't we just hate So Cal? They always have to say that we're just upset because of Robert Horry's last minute game winning shot in game 4 of the 2002 Western Conference finals. I have news for Laker fan...Robert Horry's shot didn't keep the Kings from a World Title...it only kept Jason Kidd and the New Jersey Nets from THEIR first championship...think about it...

Lastly, I was going to "pen" my first editorial cartoon...it would've been beautiful. I've heard about the hypocrisy of modern day cartoonist (uh, Garry Trudeau, are you listening?)...but then, I guess it's not different than Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly blaming the country's woes on the left wing media. Anyway, MY cartoon will have two frames, one with a "Mission Accomplished," banner in the background and two pundits (one dressed as Groucho Marx) saying, "oh my God...how arrogant!" Then, the next frame would have a presidential press conference setting, with the same two pundits present, the president saying, "hey, I can't dive down and plug the leak...or suck up the leak with a straw," with Groucho exclaiming, "oh my God...how poignant!"

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]