Friday, May 1, 2009

I have many Souters...

As if our new president doesn't have enough on his plate after barely 100 days in office, now comes word of the impending retirement of Supreme Court Justice David Souter. The (now) 69 year old Souter was a 1990 appointee of George H.W. Bush, and a replacement for the liberal former justice William Brennan. The elder Bush, seeking to appease all and I think (also) attempting to lend an air of fairness to the process, didn't nominate a far right wing ideologue, like for instance, Robert Bork. Rather, he sought to bring the Court to the center and nominated a moderate, a liberal moderate at that...let's see which way Obama leans...



The media has gone hog wild, pardon the pun, with this whole swine flu madness. I'm sorry, but don't we have flu outbreaks every year? It's almost as if the national media has taken a page from the local "morning zoo-type" news shows. Like when it's a slow news day and they have "live team coverage" of breaking news at a three car pile-up on the interstate. Now the flu has even gone partisan...left wing news sources are maintaining that the virus started in Southern Cal way before the Mexican outbreak (another apology, President Obama?)...then at the same time, right wing whacko radio hosts are calling for border closings (what else is new?) to limit further transmission...yeah, like that would help...



Are we still in Obama's corner? Sure, we like him...but are we getting tired of "things getting worse" with every White House proposal (i.e. bailout)...now, Chrysler is declaring bankruptcy. Excuse me, wasn't that what myself and many others were saying should happen. Well, yes it was...but the "restructuring" I was speaking about (also) involved ripping up UAW contracts. I'm afraid this Obama/Fiat-backed program only prolongs the inevitable...



Page Four...the inevitable...I remember when I was still working, hearing people (co-workers, superiors, etc.) bemoaning and begrudging everything Bush related. I found myself echoing their sentiments, though it was mostly because my portfolio (what there is/was of it) was shrinking every day. But NOW, I've started bemoaning and begrudging on my own...because it appears things are getting worse...and not just worse because of the natural course of events...worse because of what the government (and Obama) has been doing...oh God, does that make me a right wing whacko?



Lastly, I would be remiss if I didn't make mention of the sham they presented as a presidential press conference the other night. Oh my God...13 questions...pre-arranged...little to no follow-up...come on, even extremely left leaning folks had to be put off by "scripted" nature of the proceedings. I'm sorry. I like Barack Obama...but for heaven sakes, USE the teleprompter. It was sad and "almost Bush-like" watching him stutter and stammer his way through the stage show...and no, I wasn't enchanted.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]